The sweet smells of cinnamon and apples will fill your house for the rest of the day. Best to make the cake early afternoon to fully enjoy the scent all day. Also, it helps to not have the urge to put the icing on right away.
This cake is so easy to make and so moist you will have to find some self-control to not eat it all in one night! I shared this cake at work and it was a total hit.
German Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Cake:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
For the Frosting:
- 1/2c butter, soften
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beat eggs, oil, and sugar until smooth with an electric mixer. Add in flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until batter is thick.
- Stir in apples. Spread batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees for one hour, or until a cake tester comes out crumbly. Cool completely.
- For frosting, beat together butter and cream cheese. Gradually add in powdered sugar beating well after each addition.
- Spread frosting evenly over cooled cake.